THE CHALLENGE:

In 2012 we challenged you to write 12 letters of Gratitude to people that influenced your life. Many of you did this and wrote amazing stories of the experience.
This year 2013 we are focusing on BEING PRESENT. This is your life. Each day is a gift. You can't turn in yesterday for more time. So make the most of each day and continue to be grateful and embrace life! Be Present! We are changing the world...ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's the little things that matter most...

I love Sunday mornings.  The scurry of children eatting cereal, watching family movies and getting dressed for church.  What I have never loved is doing little girl hair.  That is probably why my Heavenly Father gave me ONE girl and FOUR boys!  But I had an inkling this morning...that little voice we hear in our head.  Call it what you will...I think it was a prompting...maybe from God, or my mom, or my grandmother.  But where ever it came from...the thought was "take some time and do your daughter's hair cute."  So I did.  It turned out darling (Some of that time on Pinterest evidently paid off).

As I did her hair I said to her "I miss my grandma.  She was so good at doing hair.  I miss your grandma too (my mom).  She did my hair too.  But I don't think she liked it like my grandma did.  I don't know.  It isn't that I don't like it, but I guess it is that I am not that good at it."  What followed was very sweet...

She said, "Not good at it?  What are you talking about?  You are great at it.  You can do my hair so much better than I can do anyone's hair.  You are amazing at doing hair."  (internal tears...and a duh, a-ha moment.)  I flooded in my heart with gratitude that I had listened to that inner voice.  I am grateful I took the time.  It meant my hair wasn't as cute.  But what will she remember?  My hair, or that I took time to do her hair.

I remember loving going to my grandma's house.  She would take so much time braiding my long hair into two braids, or into a french braid.  Now as an adult I realize how much this must have hurt her, what a sacrifice it was.  She had very bad arthritis.  Then, I was just a little girl who thought my grandma was "amazing" and could work magic with hair.  Maybe I thought my mom didn't like doing it because she felt like I did...pale in the shadow of grandma's super hero hair powers.  I am thankful to both of them though, for taking time!

The lesson I learned (and not the first time)...it's the little things that matter most.  Think about it, inside you know it is true!  So cuddle your little children, call or drop a note to your big children, hug your spouse, or parent, or friend...smile, laugh, love...it is the little things that are REALLY the BIG things!

Changing the world...ONE letter at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment