THE CHALLENGE:

In 2012 we challenged you to write 12 letters of Gratitude to people that influenced your life. Many of you did this and wrote amazing stories of the experience.
This year 2013 we are focusing on BEING PRESENT. This is your life. Each day is a gift. You can't turn in yesterday for more time. So make the most of each day and continue to be grateful and embrace life! Be Present! We are changing the world...ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Little things...

My sister HH and her Besties L & R totally inspired me this year with L's Birthday wish for people to do Random Acts of Kindness in her honor.  It was so fun to follow these 3 women that were celebrating L with kindness.  The first time I heard of this was when my friend D.W. sent me a link about a woman that did 40 acts of kindness ON her 40th birthday with the help of family.  What an amazing and cool way to celebrate her life!  L put a spin on that when she got others participating too.  And the PAY IT FORWARD feel of it all continues.

So although mine are not all "Random", I committed to myself to perform 40 acts of kindness as I rapidly anticipate the pending 40th Birthday.  As a note...I am NOT one of those women that dreads this monument.  All my life I heard the dread of the 40th Birthday cross the lips of almost any woman I knew that was approaching that milestone.  I feel honored to reach 40!  I hope it is only a half way or even 40% mark.  I hope there is an entire life time or lifetime and a half left ahead of me.  I feel I have earned every year, wrinkle, and MEMORY.  The memories and the relationships I have gained in this 40 year span are my riches and I feel incredibly blessed.

Last night I took my little ones (all 5!) to Cold Stone for icecream.  We had some vouchers so no money even changed hands...that place can be a little spendy.  The boy (maybe 19 years old) at the counter finished helping us and was just watching the children all sitting with their icecream, very happy.  He said (but not in the regular condesending tone...in a very sweet and unfamiliar voice)...So you have five children?  The next comment made me smile... "How do you do it?"  

I told him what has been true for me.  The hardest change I made was going from one child to two children.  After that there are so many hands that help each other, and love each other.  You just do it.  

He then noted that they were so lucky to have each other.  This young man had two siblings and he was outwardly grateful for them.  Genuinely he pronounced... "This is the greatest asset of your life to have a large family.  They will always have each other, always be able to help you, always be friends."  

As we left he helped me tape a voucher to the icecream window and I told him about the Random Acts of Kindness.  He was intrigued and thought it was cool.  The children said goodbye and he told them, "You all take care of your mom, you be good to her."

I felt that warm feeling inside, the kind when the Spirit confirms to you that you are where you should be, doing what you should be doing.  This young man had no idea what a Random Act of Kindness his words and observations were.  But for the last 5 years since adding #4 son, and #5 son I have had the most sceptical looks, and down right rude comments.  His encouragement and praise of our growing family warmed me through.  It is also a tribute to his parents, and the marvelous job they did raising such an incredible son.  It really is the little things that matter most!

Changing the world...ONE letter at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment