THE CHALLENGE:

In 2012 we challenged you to write 12 letters of Gratitude to people that influenced your life. Many of you did this and wrote amazing stories of the experience.
This year 2013 we are focusing on BEING PRESENT. This is your life. Each day is a gift. You can't turn in yesterday for more time. So make the most of each day and continue to be grateful and embrace life! Be Present! We are changing the world...ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Solace, Rain and Substitutes...

Today was a beautiful Sabbath.  By the time church was finished though, the rain was coming down in torents.  My children were mumbling and complaining but I just SMILED thinking of dancing in the rain.  Water, more water, and even more water.  We need the water really, but more of a slow steady rain would help us.  This just runs off everything.  I love the rain.  I love my mom's rainy day chili.  I love the feeling of a warm fireplace (one of the few things my home lacks...I can live with that....it just requires an occasional trip to a cabin for a weekend to get my fireplace fix.)

My solace today had the accompaniment of a little four year old.  We read a couple books then I talked him into cuddling with mommy after a trip to the bathroom (no one likes to wake up wet, least of all me!).  We were both fast asleep in a matter of minutes and my sweetheart let us rest for two hours...lovely, beautiful, napping solace!

When we woke up I gathered the four oldest children together and we made snickerdoodles for my nephew.  He is in a training center right now preparing for a two year mission to the Phillipines.  He is currently learning the language at an incredibly accelerated speed...and he writes the children about how putting his trust in the Lord is making learning truly miraculous.  We are more than a little proud of him and with a daughter and four boys in my home that look to him as a hero of sorts, I am certainly grateful for his example of sacrifice and service.  I was lacking in shortening and cream of tartar so I made the recommended substitutes...but they were a little more cakey than I would have liked.  Still they tasted good so I guess you can get a decent cookie without Cream of Tartar.  Although, tomorrow I plan to get some so as not to have this happen twice.

This got me thinking...what else do we "substitute" in our lives that produces something...but not the same and not the quality of thing we could get without the substitute.  For me time is something I substitute with my children for other things at times (not always...but I am becoming more aware of it.)  I have learned that my time is invaluable and if I give it to them, they think it is worth more than gold.  Often I "give" them things...in substitute for something that is FREE and far more valuable and that is my time.  Tonight, I gave them my time.  And they laughed and had fun.  I was a little nippy once or twice, and had to continually remind myself to be patient.  OCD people should not be allowed to bake...but when you have children it is a necessity.  Though the recipe did not turn out in my OCD mind perfectly...the quality and quantity of time with my children was perfect and wonderful.  I enjoyed it.  It is important NOW...but if I make it a habit to do things with them, talk with them, share with them and love them NOW...it will pay HUGE dividends later when they become teenagers.  I am thankful to see some of my weaknesses...and even more thankful that I am striving to be humble so that I can course correct and be the most loving and giving mother I can, not a perfect mom (for I don't think they exist)...but a good one, and one my children will love and trust forever.  Just like my mom was.  Making Snickerdoodles was a little painful tonight as I pulled out her old recipe from my grandmother...but healing too.  Funny how the pain can lead to the healing.  I am so grateful.  It is certainly fitting that this is my year of gratitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment