THE CHALLENGE:

In 2012 we challenged you to write 12 letters of Gratitude to people that influenced your life. Many of you did this and wrote amazing stories of the experience.
This year 2013 we are focusing on BEING PRESENT. This is your life. Each day is a gift. You can't turn in yesterday for more time. So make the most of each day and continue to be grateful and embrace life! Be Present! We are changing the world...ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Saturday, July 28, 2012

What matters most...

Today I was on my way out the door.  The phone rang and the number had no name attached.  I didn't recognize it and I had places to go.  Normally I would not even answer.  But I had "a feeling", so I picked up the call.  It was a sweet sister from my church congregation.  Her dog had what she thought was a stroke.  Later we found out that likely it was a brain tumor.  After waiting for her son to join us at the vet, the decision was made to put their sweet puppy to rest.  It was tearful.  I hugged and comforted my friend as she gave her nearly 16 year old dog this last act of love and mercy.  And there I stood, grateful that I had picked up the phone.  I had answered the call.

There are things in this world that don't matter, there are things we think matter...then there are the things that MATTER MOST.  My family I am raising and my family of origin matter so much to me.  The busy things of the world sometimes pulls me off course a tad.  It is like playing at the beach...you get so lost in the surf and the waves that when you look up, you are shocked to find you are a football field away from your home plate.  Today, this tender moment with a friend made me realize it was time to ground myself again.  It was time to plant my feet solid in the ground of what matters MOST.

So for my 4oth birthday which is swiftly approaching...I am giving myself a gift.  For the next 40 days I am going to focus on the things that matter most to me.  Obviously the first thing that matters most to me is my family.  I love them.  Sometimes we "feel" connected when really we are not connected.  So I unplugged for the next 40 days from my virtual world, so that I can firmly plug in to the REAL world.  I am hoping that those closest to me in BOTH worlds will remain so.  My great desire is to renew my spirit, to learn about myself, to laugh with my children, to finish some things that have needed finishing and to find JOY in the moments.  I plan to take pictures with my camera and my heart.  I may or may not write about this 40 day journey as I go.  Because writing is not what matters MOST.  Though I do love it, and if I find it helps me in this journery then I won't be as much of a stranger to this blog as I was the past couple of months as I dealt with the one year mark of my father's death.

Losing so many that I love has been a brash reminder that LIFE is SHORT!  And we need to spend MORE TIME on What Matters MOST!

Changing the world...ONE letter at a time!

1 comment: