THE CHALLENGE:

In 2012 we challenged you to write 12 letters of Gratitude to people that influenced your life. Many of you did this and wrote amazing stories of the experience.
This year 2013 we are focusing on BEING PRESENT. This is your life. Each day is a gift. You can't turn in yesterday for more time. So make the most of each day and continue to be grateful and embrace life! Be Present! We are changing the world...ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Impact...

Impact:  The effect or influence of one person, thing or act on another.

We each have the power to impact lives all around us on a daily basis.  Many things impacted my decision to write this blog, to write 365 letters this year, to start The Butterfly Project, to extend a challenge as far as I could carry it...to the voices of my friends, and their friends and so on.  May the sound echo across the sea and back.

I want to tell you about a few people that have led me to the Butterfly Project:

1)  My parents did good, reached out, helped, lifted, strengthened.   And very frankly I want to be half as good as they were about loving unconditionally and reaching out to the world.  They are always a primary source of inspiration for me.

2)  My beautiful "sisters"...the ones I was raised with, but beyond them the ones that have become "sisters" to me through life's course, trials, joys, sorrows.  They inspire me daily and have brought me to this place of gratitude that is overflowing so much that I need at least 365 letters to express it all.

3)  Specifically four girlies in my life lead me to this project:  A huge thank you to D.W., E.P., D.L. and D.P.  Thank you ladies for ALWAYS inspiring me, loving me, encouraging me and making me a better person!!!

4)  Lastly (today...there are so many...but lastly today) I want to thank Stephanie Nielson.  A choice woman whom I do not know personally but whom I have been blessed to briefly meet and even more blessed to be graced with her emotional story of triumph, courage, strength and determination.  She is one of my MODERN day heros.  She is the kind of hero I desire for my children to aspire to be like.  She is a doer of good, a genuine and a kind soul.  And though she does not know me well, I THANK HER, I APPLAUD HER.  She truly has helped in the transformation of my life.

Coming Spring 2012

Last year I was able to go with one of my TFF (True Friends Forever) Ethel to a conference and Stephanie was a last minute speaker.  It was an emotionally charged talk as she shared about the struggles that accompanied her plane crash and recovery after being burned on over 80% of her body.  As I watched and listened to her, tears streaming down my face...I thought...  I should never complain again, ABOUT ANYTHING.  But hey, I am human and I am sure I will (more than once even).  But I too will be more aware because of her!  Thank you to her.

On the event I started on facebook I was writing back and forth to my friend last night and part of the conversation touched me as I wrote her so I wanted to share it:


  • I said:   I wrote Stephanie Nielson (the Sweet woman that spoke to us that had been in the plane crash)...the tears were literally streaming down my face as I wrote!
    Yesterday at 10:50pm ·  ·  1
  • EP (wrote) Her impact on your life has had a chain reaction to all of us.
    Yesterday at 10:51pm ·  ·  1
  • I responded:

     I love your way with words...That is beautiful...and you are so right. Maybe at the end of the year I will write her another letter with the total of people we were able to get to participate and the estimated number of lives she changed just from her help in changing my life! That goes for you E.P. and D.W. as well.... We are up to 2,400 lives we are helping to touch. That is what I love about this project. We all own it. When we come together for the greater good of others we are a unit, a group...we are all changing those lives together. It is a powerful thing. And the synergy is AMAZING!!!
I would add...We are a force to be reckoned with!!!
This is my time!  This is my year!  This is my choice.  And I will no longer sit on the sidelines WISHING that I could make a difference in the lives of others.  I WILL!  I WILL!

May a desire grow in all of you to make a difference too, and may that desire spread until we have touched hearts across the whole world.

Changing the world, ONE letter at a time!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sis. I love you. You inspire me to be better all the time. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feeling is mutual...or "ditto" as dad would say. I LOVE YOU TOO! Thank you for 'introducing' me to the world of Stephanie. She has been a light through some dark days! LOVE YOU!!! More than words!

    ReplyDelete